Electrician’s Qualifications in the UK

by Steve on November 5, 2010

Updated- May 2017

This information will be useful if you’re looking for electrician courses and electrical training in the UK.

A fully qualified electrician in the UK would be expected to have completed at least a City & Guilds or EAL approved electrical course including NVQ Level 3 qualification.  Most employers would also require new applicants to have passed an AM2 test and have upgraded to the latest edition of the IEE Regs. An Inspection and Testing qualification would also be an asset.

Here’s an updated overview of a ‘fully qualified’ electrician’s qualifications:


NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualification and was set up as a national (England and Wales) qualification to assess a student’s qualifications and abilities in the workplace. NVQ is not a training course, but assessment qualification. Both City and Guilds and EAL offer NVQ Electrical qualifications which could take up to four years to complete.

The NVQ level 3 qualification requires a student to keep a log of their acheivements and accomplishments as they progress in learning as a trainee electrician. The details of each module of the course are quite in depth and will need to be supported by evidence. This evidence should be in the form of both written and photographic and must also include test sheets, plans, and risk assessments. All of this makes up a student’s portfolio and goes to prove an understanding of all aspects electrical work including documentation and health and safety.

EAL and City & Guilds Courses
Both EAL and City & Guilds are well respected within the electrical industry  Their electrical courses generally cover the same content and may be called ‘diploma’ or ‘qualification’. The important thing is to be sure that your training provider offers their approved courses and also that you choose the right one for your requirements before you sign up.



Competent Persons
Fully qualified electricians may also wish to register with a Competent Person Scheme Provider (Part P of Building Regulations) to enable them to Self-Certify their own work as Domestic Installers.

Electricians working in hazardous or potentially explosive areas will be expected to be aware of ATEX & DSEAR and take a CompEx Training Course.

Find more articles about How To Become An Electrician.


{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Luis Alex January 9, 2018 at 22:44

Hi there,
I used to work as a marine electrician on ships. But due to family priorities. am now doing a shore job. I intend to do the C&G 2365 LEVEL 2&3. But after reading through the blog I am in doubt whether it is the 2365 or 2357 to do.
Could anyone advise me?

Because I have a electrical background I was actually thinking about the distance learning for c&g 2365. If anyone has any information about the cheapest price for it,I don’t mind.
Any help/advice much appreciated.

Luis Alex

David Dwyer January 29, 2016 at 12:17

This is a good blog, however it may be prudent to inform your followers of another couple of routes into the industry.
1. For entrants wishing to work in the industry relatively quickly, often more mature candidates, Competent Person Schemes such as NAPIT will accept a minimum qualification of Level 3 to become a signed up member. This could include the full NVQ level 3s you have mentioned but an alternative would be the LOGIC Certified Domestic Electrical Installers qualification which has been updated recently to make it a much punchier qualification than the old part P. This qualification held together with the 17th Edition and Inspection and Test qualifications will enable a candidate to sign up as a Competent Person. (Skilled Person Electrically, these days).
2. For the Mature candidate who has worked in the industry for 5 years or more but has no qualifications, there is the mature candidate NVQ level 3 offered by EAL. This qualification requires the candidate to submit work for a portfolio the same as the NVQ 3s previously mentioned. The advantage this route has, is it can be completed a lot quicker than the traditional route. If the candidate then requires a JIB Gold card, he/she would need to complete the AM2 in addition to his.

Should you wish us to provide you with further content please feel free to get in touch.

Leave a Comment

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: