Landlords Electrical Safety Certificate and Condition Report EICR

by Editor on May 10, 2012

This post gives some information that may be useful to Landlords, House Buyers and Sellers who need to find out the condition of their electrical installations. Many electrical companies now offer an electrical safety report service so be sure to use an approved an experienced qualified electrician or inspector and ask what will be covered in the report.

It is recommended that a rented property has at least a visual electrical inspection every year or upon change of tenancy. The documentation which records this inspection is commonly known as a landlords Electrical Safety Certificate but is generally only a visual inspection. A full electrical test is now called an Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR.

By carrying out a visual inspection and a few basic tests it should be possible for a qualified electrician to give you an idea of the general condition of your electrical installation. This can be useful for landlords who wish to ensure that their property is safe when renting to tenants and for those buying or selling houses, but it doesn’t cover the same assurances of safety and compliance with the electrical wiring regulations as a full EICR. – Electricians in Ampthill and Flitwick –  SPK Electricare.

Here’s some info about electrical testing and inspection:

Electrical Installation Condition Report- EICR

In most cases it is a statutory obligation for an electrical installation inspected at regular intervals. The fixed wiring and accessories will deteriorate over time and it is recommended by the Institute of Electrical Engineers that buildings over 5 years old are subject to a periodic inspection. This is now called an Electrical Installation Inspection Report or EICR certificate. The period between tests is relevant to the type of installation as per the IEE Wiring Regulations (BS7671).

Private Dwellings

Private dwellings should be tested at least every 10 years.

Public Places

If your premises are open to the public then it is very likely to require an inspection every year.

A Landlord’s Electrical Safety Obligations

There are two main legal requirements that impose a statutory duty on landlords relevant to the safety of electrical equipment:

  1. The Consumer Protection Act 1987
  2. Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (EWR)

For landlords and renters the Consumer Protection Act affects anyone who lets a property in the course of their business or for profit. They are seen as ‘suppliers’ because they are supplying goods to the tenant. In the case of an unfortunate electrical accident or injury in their property a landlord could protect themselves from prosecution if they can demonstrate they took reasonable steps such as having regular inspections by a qualified and competent person.

The EWR can apply to a landlord when maintenance staff are employed and when operatives are carrying out electrical installation work on their properties.

It is recommended that a rented property has at least a visual electrical safety report upon change of tenancy or every year.

Typical checks and tests for a Visual Electrical Safety Report:

  • Visual inspection for breakage, damage, signs of overheating, missing parts, enclosure integrity and adequate labelling.

Checks and tests for a full EICR

  • Visual inspection of the installation including the condition of wiring and accessories such as switches and socket outlets
  • Continuity & connection of earth conductors in each circuit
  • Continuity and connection of the ring circuits to socket outlets
  • Polarity and connections
  • Installation resistance of the circuit conductors
  • Earth loop impedance test to determine the adequacy of the earthing arrangements
  • Testing of RCDs and RCBOsto check that they do trip at the correct time and current rating
  • Functional Switching and Isolation, to insure the switches actually switch off the live conductor to an appliance or wiring accessory

Electrical Testing and Inspecting Services

If you are concerned about the electrical safety of your installation in the Ampthill, Flitwick or the Bedford area I would be be pleased to carry out a visual inspection and give some advice on how to resolve any problems. Visit my electrical website for more info at – SPK Electricare.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Editor November 28, 2012 at 19:56

Hi Les. Thanks for your comment. Yes, there’s a lot of it about and sometimes people don’t want to listen until there’s an accident. I suppose your fellow churchgoers think that they’re doing a service to the community by putting there lives at risk and saving money on paying for professional services, but the church won’t thank them when someone is injured or electrocuted!
As an electrician you have been trained to assess risks and probably do it now by second nature.

I can’t think of an easy answer to your predicament other than just keeping on advising against dangerous practices and maybe downloading some pages from the ESC and showing them to committee members. Good Luck!

Les Macaulay November 26, 2012 at 22:45

As an electrician (retired but qualified to 17th Edition BS7671 and Inspection and Testing, (both City and Guild Certificates held), I have notified the Board of my very heavily used Church building that they should employ an electrical contractor to carry out EIC reports, as well as emergency lights tests, PAT testing, and fire risk assessment. We have a retired member of the Board who was a GP who works off ladders at high level as well as builds and works off portable scaffolding without a PASMA cert. For two years now they have not taken my advice towards complying with such Legislation.
What next?

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: