Part P Notifiable Regs- 2013

by Editor on May 27, 2013

From April 2013 there were two main changes to the new 2013 Edition of Part P

1- A reduction in the range of minor electrical installation works that are notifiable, and that do not require a new electrical circuit, (this minor work would however still need to comply with BS 7671 and the Building Regulations as may be applicable).

2- An installer who is not a registered competent person may now use a registered 3rd party to certify notifiable electrical installation work as an alternative to the Local Area Building Control.

Third Party Signing-Off

Previously, an electrical contractor undertaking work covered by Part P, but who was not registered with a competent persons’ scheme, was required to notify their local authority’s building control – who could then determine if the work was acceptable under the regulations.

Under the new regulations those carrying out the work but who are not registered with a competent person scheme will be able to get their work signed off by a registered 3rd party other than the LABC. According to the NICEIC, this could create a new stream of work for Part P registered electricians. However in the meantime, self-cert electricians must continue to notify their work to the LABC prior to commencement until such time as the ‘3rd party certification’ scheme has been defined and in operation.

A suitable system for approving individuals to carry out certification has yet to be defined along with a form or certificate so this work can be carried out.

Range of work notifiable

Under the new 2013 Edition of Part P, electrical work undertaken in kitchens (such as adding a new socket) or work outdoors (such as installing a new security light), electric floor heating, ELV lighting and central heating controls will no longer be notifiable unless a new circuit is required. This means less work will have to be notified by Part P registered competent person companies.

The minor work that REMAINS notifiable includes:

  • Installation of a new circuit
  • Replacement of a consumer unit
  • Work in a room containing a swimming pool or sauna
  • Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a ‘special location’

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: