Electrical Contractors- Register for Waste Carrier “Urgent”!

by Editor on January 17, 2014

From 1 January 2014, all building contractors that regularly transport waste, including their own waste, must register as a waste carrier

This requirement was mainly introduced by the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011.  Although these Regulations started to come into force three years ago, they included a temporary exemption for companies that already transported their own waste before April 2011.

As of 1 January 2014 the exemption has ended, which means that even if a contractor is simply carrying its own waste, it must now be a registered waste carrier.

You should already be registered to carry waste if you carry construction/demolition waste that is not your own waste (e.g. the previously installed wiring or rubble from a domestic or commercial job). If you carry such waste and are not already registered, you should look into obtaining registration now. If you are already suitably registered to carry waste you do not need to do anything until your renewal.

From 1 January 2014, you must be registered as a waste carrier if you regularly transport your own waste as part of your business, irrespective of whether you also carry construction waste.

Your ‘own waste’ might include, for example, your wiring or cabling offcuts, or waste packaging.  This is the part of the legislation that has actually changed.


You must register as a waste carrier if you do any of the following:

  • transport your own waste regularly (as of 1 January 2014);
  • transport any construction/demolition waste (even if it’s a ‘one off’);
  • transport or dispose of waste for someone else; or
  • buy or sell waste

The above is not optional. You can be fined up to £5000 if you don’t register at all.

How to register

From 1 January 2014, all businesses, including electrical contractors, that “normally and regularly” transport waste, including their own waste, must be registered with the Environment Agency (EA) or similar national body as a registered waste carrier.

You can register online – registration with the EA is free if you are simply registering to carry your own waste (socalled ‘lower tier’ registration).  A fee of £154 provides EA registration for three years if you carry construction/demolition waste (so called ‘higher tier’ registration).

After registering, a company’s name appears on the list of registered waste carriers (which may help with pre-qualification enquiries about waste).


Register online here

Download EA guidance on which registration type to choose, including helpful decision charts.


Register online here

Similar waste registration rules also apply in Scotland.


Members that transport waste in Northern Ireland must also register with their environment agency as a ‘professional collector or transporter’ or a ‘lower-tier waste carrier’.

Register online here

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: