Which Part P Work Is Notifiable?

by Editor on September 27, 2015

Was the reduction in the categories of Part P notifiable electrical installation work a good idea? Most of the changes are applicable in England only. More info Part P for Wales- http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/Contractor-Documents/Pocket-Guides/Pocket-Guide-8.aspxPart P Electrical Safety
Part P now requires less works to be registerd with Building Control (in England) but according to a survey by Elecsa, only 124 out of the 4827 member electricians visiting their website (2.5%) considered that the changes had made it easier for householders to understand.

New Part P Document Survey
Do you think that the new Approved Document P will make it easier for householders to understand what electrical work is notifiable?

Data from Elecsa website 27 September 2015-

Survey Results (ongoing at http://www.elecsa.co.uk)
124 say YES – reducing the amount of work notifiable is easier to explain to customers.
1897 say NO – reducing the categories weakens the electrical safety argument.
2806 say NOT SURE – customers are largely unaware of what is notifiable anyway.


Were the changes to Part P Notification necessary?

Personally I agree with the survey results and feel that the changes have watered down the emphasis on using accountable and competent installers for all electrical works. Originally it was quite easy for my customers to understand the concept that any electrical work in their homes should be carried out by an approved electrician. They would then get proof of the notification from Building Control.

Registering Part P jobs isn’t a problem. I was perfectly happy to register all electrical work including kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors. On-line notification is very easy and I saw it as all part of offering a professional service to my customers. With the changes there still seems to be confusion (if not more) about which work is notifiable.

I remember a time when other trades like kitchen installers would take “limited scope” electrical courses so they could become registered Part P installers for any work in kitchens only. Now the message seems to be that anybody is ok to carry out electrical alterations without being trained and qualified as a “competent person”.

As well as homeowners, some electricians are also confused as to which electrical work is included in Part P.

What electrical work is Part P notifiable?

Part P electrical building regulations cover anywhere in a domestic dwelling and its surroundings and the revised requirements (April 2013) now mean that less electrical work needs to be notified by electricians.

Basically notification is only required for:

  • New circuits
  • Replacement consumer units
  • Any work in special locations.

Special Locations (Included)
What is a special location? A special location as far as Part P is concerned is defined as the zones within a room containing a bath or shower, a swimming pool or sauna room heaters.

Kitchens & Other Domestic Locations (Not Included)
Electrical work in kitchens (such as adding a new socket) and work outdoors such as installing a new security light, electric floor heating, ELV lighting and central heating controls are no longer notifiable unless a new circuits are installed.

Full List Of Part P Notifiable Works

This is the notifiable list from Elecsa:

  1. Circuit alteration or addition in a special location
  2. Install one or more new circuits
  3. Install a replacement consumer unit
  4. Rewire of all circuits
  5. Partial rewire
  6. New full electrical installation (new build)
  7. Install a new circuit for ELV lighting within a dwelling
  8. Install a new circuit for electrical heating
  9. Installation of a generator (excluding microgeneration)
  10. [ Wales only ] Circuit alteration or addition in a kitchen
  11. [ Wales only ] Install electrical lighting and/or power outdoors
  12. [ Wales only ] Install control wiring including that of fire/security/heating/cooling/ventilation
  13. [ Wales only ] Upgrade of alteration to means of earthing

There is also a requirement to state if some or all of the work is subject to a Green Deal Plan.

How To Notify

To notify any works to building control you must be registered with a Part P self certification scheme, or alternatively you could inform Local Building Control that you intend to carry out the works and pay them to get it certified and registered.

What do you think? Comments below please…

More info Part P for England- http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/Contractor-Documents/Pocket-Guides/Pocket-Guide-31.aspx


{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Jack July 9, 2018 at 11:53

How not true, of course you can buy any electrical stuff in Europe and in fact regulations there are much more relaxed than UK. I’m not a registered electrician (working in a different industry) but I have studied electrics and electronics at Uni for 5 years and have good understanding of it so why can’t I do stuff myself? Why do I need to pay electrician for something I can easily do myself? I’ve seen some works done by certified electricians and it was terrible!!!

Phil hood November 22, 2017 at 18:59

Agree totally… I should flash my gold jib card and that should suffice
You cant buy electrical stuff in europe without it.

Brian Smith September 28, 2015 at 09:25

I have been an electrician for 40 years and…

1. Until you stop Joe public from buying electrical installation equipment from B & Q, Screw fix or any online electrical retailer Part P will always remain a joke!
2. Allowing “anyone” to take the appropriate exams without any electrical experience and letting them loose on the streets is insane.
3. Letting Tilers, Plumbers, Kitchen Fitters and any dilutee access to part P authorisation was a big mistake.
I have never attended so many botched jobs in my life until Part P came out and for those 3 reasons above Mr & Mrs Public wont pay for a “proper” time served electrician and why I resigned from NAPIT and got a proper job.

Geoff Dymond September 27, 2015 at 18:48

Dear Sir,

Firstly, it is not ANY work in special locations but additions and alterations to circuits in special locations.

I think the extended list is unnecessary.
A new circuit, while there are definition problems, is self explanatory and does not require a list quoting what the new circuit may supply, thus creating confusion by not including everything which may involve a new circuit.
Is a new telecommunication circuit notifiable now that it is not specifically excluded, as it was previously?
This is just a further example of the schemes pretending to have some authority over the regulations by issuing yet more unnecessary guidance.

Also, I dislike the reference to these as Part P demands (Part P courses, Part P qualifications etc.) as they come under the general Building Regulations; Part P being a very short statement regarding required safety and premises to which it applies.

I fundamentally disagree with the removal of kitchens from the notification requirements as I was under the impression that requiring casual electrical work by other trades was the original purpose for its introduction.

Yours faithfully,
Geoff Dymond.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: